By joining United African Organization as an employee, you will have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of African immigrants and refugees.UAO is an employer that offers professional development, personal fulfillment, and an environment where your talent and contributions are valued by the organization and the community-at-large. The UAO is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, and adheres to a strict no-drug policy.
There are currently no job vacancies.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR
ABOUT THE POSITION:
United African Organization (UAO) is a dynamic coalition of African community-based organizations that promotes social and economic justice, civic participation, and empowerment of African immigrants and refugees in Illinois. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Community Engagement Coordinator will work to extend the reach of UAO programs and public policy advocacy throughout the African immigrant and refugee communities in Illinois. The position will be responsible for developing relationship with organizing partners and designing project implementation strategies. This is a full-time position.
- Conduct strategic community outreach to promote awareness about UAO programs and priorities
- Mobilize community response to policy issues, facilitating active participation in advocacy work through constituent meetings, hearings and other activities
- Develop relationships with organizing partners and explore collaborative opportunities with potential allies
- Conduct community presentations and workshops on relevant programmatic and advocacy issues
- Collect and maintain program data, and prepare clear and concise reports
- Ensure timely compliance with program-related requirements, and provide comprehensive case management when necessary
- Prepare and disseminate written communication about UAO programs, and attend meetings with community leaders and advocates
- Coordinate logistics for UAO events, meetings and relevant activities
- Identify, train and develop a network of community advocates and volunteers
- Enhance social media capacity
- Assist with various projects and perform other duties as assigned
- Responsible for membership services and support
- Plan, monitor and evaluate effectiveness of program activities and implement best practices
- Communicate UAO meetings, activities, workshops, and resources through available networks
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- College degree in Social Work, Public Health, Human Services, Social Justice/Human Rights, Sociology or related field.
- Speak and/or write French at a colloquial skill level in carrying out position duties in conjunction with Francophone African immigrants and refugees is desired;
- Computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access).
- Demonstrate ability to work in a culturally diverse environment
- Possess advanced interpersonal communication skills and passion for social and economic justice
- Experience with developing creative and technical written materials
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and written reports
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from clients and the general public
- Ability to manage and organize multiple tasks
- Must be proactive, a self-starter
- Well organized with high attention to details and deliver accurate work within strict deadlines
- Ability to manage and prioritize time and responsibilities, including the ability to work independently
- Adapt to change and respond to unexpected issues
Commitment to service
- Community service experience
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude toward helping others
- Ability to work weekends and evenings when necessary
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Extensive training in the non-profit field
- Invaluable opportunity to make a difference in the lives of African immigrants and refugees
TO APPLY: Please submit your resume, cover letter and short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: August 15, 2014
Thank you for your interest in joining our team! UAO is an equal opportunity employer.