- Nigeria: Edo State University Not for the Poor – Vice Chancellor
[Premium Times] The management of the state-owned Edo University, Iyamho, says the institution was established to essentially cater for academically-endowed students and the wealthy in [...]
- Africa: Look to China for the Main Beneficiary of America's Likely Retreat From Africa
[The Conversation Africa] Anti-terrorism and transactional relationships are likely be the main features of US President Donald Trump's Africa policy. But if Trump's proposed [...]
- Africa: Macron's Francafrique
[Al Jazeera] These days in Dakar, Bamako and elsewhere in Francophone Africa, everyone is talking about French President Emmanuel Macron.
- Egypt: 28 Sentenced to Death Over Top Prosecutor Killing
[Al Jazeera] An Egyptian court has sentenced 28 people to death over the killing of a top prosecutor two years ago, security and judicial officials said.
- Cote d'Ivoire: Sporadic Violence and Presidential Tussle Put Hard-Won Security At Risk
[IRIN] Just as it seemed to be turning the page after a decade-long crisis marked by two civil wars, violence has again become worryingly routine in Côte d'Ivoire. Since the begin [...]
- Africa: Cost of Diabetes Care in Africa Could Triple By 2030
[SciDev.Net] Cape Town -The costs and complications of diabetes could overwhelm healthcare systems in Sub-Saharan Africa and reach US$59.3 billion by 2030 if rates double, according to [...]
- Tanzania: Govt Suspends Issuance of Mining Licences
[Daily News] FEW weeks after the overhauled mining laws became operational; the government yesterday suspended issuance of mining licences until a Mining Commission is established.
- South Africa: President Zuma – I've Never Sought Residency Outside Country
[News24Wire] President Jacob Zuma revealed in a written reply to a Parliamentary question on Monday that he owns no property outside of South Africa and never sought residency for himse [...]
- Cameroon: Government Refutes Amnesty International Torture Allegations
[Cameroon Tribune] Below is the Minister of Communication's preliminary statement during a press conference on July 21, 2017 on Amnesty International's 2017 report entitled &q [...]
- Ethiopia: Ethiopia Release 114 Somali Prisoners
[VOA] More than 100 Somalis, recently released from Ethiopian detention facilities and handed over to the Somali government, arrived in Mogadishu on Saturday, government officials told [...]
- Nigeria: 'Queen of Golf' Mentors Next Generation of Potential Pros
[VOA] About 30 youngsters were on a golf course, practicing their swing on a hot Saturday morning in the Nigerian capital, Abuja.
- South Africa: Govt Exploring Investment Opportunities With Indonesia
[SAnews.gov.za] South Africa and Indonesia have agreed to identify sectors to exploit investment opportunities.