- Sierra Leone: Sierra Leone Mining Dispute Highlights Pitfalls for U.S. Firms
[allAfrica] The decision by Sierra Leone to shut down the operations of U.S.-owned SL Mining has called into question that government's commitment to the rule of law with regard to [...]
- Ethiopia: Report Received By the UN 'Just This Morning' Reveals 150 People Died of Hunger in Tigray – Eritrean Forces, Amhara Region Authorities Restricting Humanitarian Access
[Addis Standard] Addis Abeba — Mark Lowcock, UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, has today delivered a grim assessment on the humanita [...]
- Malawi: Malawi Achieves 91% Conviction of Wildlife Crimes
[Nyasa Times] Malawi achieved 91% conviction rate of 251 wildlife crime cases, says an overview of wildlife prosecutions prepared by the Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPW) [...]
- South Africa: George Floyd – State Recalls Expert to Refute SA-Trained Doctor's 'Exhaust Fumes' Testimony
[Daily Maverick] Specialist roped in again after Dr David Fowler claims Floyd died from heart disease, drugs and carbon monoxide, Meanwhile, as the State wraps up its case, killer-accus [...]
- Mali: Rights Groups Sue Govt for Not Enacting Anti-FGM Laws
[Nation] In 2019, a 37-year-old mother became the first person in the UK to be convicted of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM).
- Burkina Faso: Former President Compaore Charged in Thomas Sankara Murder
[allAfrica] Cape Town — A military tribunal in Burkina Faso has charged former president Blaise Compaore with complicity in the 1987 assassination of then-president Thomas Sankara,
- Ethiopia: Tigray Crisis Worsening With No Withdrawal of Eritrean Troops in Sight – UN
[DW] The UN humanitarian chief has said that sexual violence and starvation were being used as weapons of war in Ethiopia's Tigray. He urged Eritrea to make good on its pledge and [...]
- Zimbabwe: Mnangagwa Petitioned Over Police Corruption
[263Chat] An anonymous citizen has written to President Emmerson Mnangagwa highlighting what he says massive corruption by members of the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) at Zengeza polic [...]
- Africa: Covid-19 Deaths Across Continent Rise to Over 117,000
[allAfrica] As of April 16, confirmed cases of Covid-19 from 55 African countries reached 4,395,884 while over 9,263,298 vaccinations have been administered across the continent.
- Kenya: How Kenyatta Dumped Me After the 2017 Elections – Ruto
[Nation] Deputy President William Ruto has, in the clearest indication yet, admitted that President Uhuru Kenyatta no longer takes his advice over running of government.
- East Africa: Fight Against Violent Extremism, and Graft Take Toll on Region
[East African] As East Africa struggles to recover from the ravages of the Covid-19 pandemic, the region is also fighting extremism, crime and corruption.
- Africa: Continent Seeks to Produce 60% of Its Vaccines By 2040
[East African] The African Union (AU) has announced the launch of a partnership to manufacture vaccines at five research centres to be built on the continent in the coming 15 years. The [...]