United African Organization

UAO aims to serve as the African Community Resource Clearinghouse wherein constituents gather, access information, share experiences, exchange views, and coordinate organizational capacity development. UAO's hub of resources on this website is intended to assist community members in navigating services, programs and resources that are available to help them cope better in the United States.

African Country Profiles

Read more →

South African Consulate General

South African Consulate General in Chicago

The South African Consulate General in Chicago represents the Government of the Republic of South Africa in the Great Lakes Region of the United States of America.

Read more →

Protection for Undocumented Youth, Obama’s new policy

On June 15, 2012, the Obama Administration announced that it would offer many DREAM Act-eligible youths protection from deportation. These youths, whether or not they are currently in deportation proceedings, will be able to apply for “deferred action,” which would temporarily shield them from deportation and enable to live and work legally in the US.

Five criteria to be met

  • They must have come to the US before they turned 16;
  • They must have not yet turned 30 when they apply;
  • They must have continuously resided in the US since June 15, 2007, and must have been present in the US on June 15, 2012;
  • They must currently be in school, have received a high school diploma or GED, or been honorably discharged from the US Armed Forces or the Coast Guard;
  • They must not have been convicted of a felony, a “significant misdemeanor,” multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety. Anyone applying for deferred action would need to go through a criminal background check.

Anyone who wants to apply should seek help only from immigration attorneys or non-profit organizations that work on immigration matters.

Find a free legal clinic in Chicago where you can get help filing your application.

Scholarship for DREAMers

Read more →

African Diplomatic Contacts

African Diplomatic Contacts.

Read more →

Legal Resources and Referrals

National Immigrant Justice Center (NIJC)

208 S. LaSalle St.,Suite 2000
Chicago, IL 60604
Phone: 312-660-1370 
Appointments: 312-660-1370
Fax: 312-660-1505  

Low-to-moderate income immigrants; immigration matters such as Visa processing, naturalization, deportation defense, asylum; intake by appointment only, Mondays, Wednesdays, and first Saturday of the month 
Centro Romero 6216 N. Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60660
Phone: 773-508-5300
Fax: 773-508-5399
E-mail: romerolegal@aol.com

Immigration assistance to Latino immigrants; walk-ins accepted
Chicago Legal Clinic 2938 E. 91st St.
Chicago, IL 60617
Phone: 773-731-1762
Fax: 773-731-4264
E-mail Address: info@clclaw.org
Web Address: www.clclaw.org
Bankruptcy, guardianship, adoption, domestic violence, landlord/tenant matters, tort defense, contract law, wills, immigration
Chicago Volunteer Legal Services 100 N. LaSalle St.
Suite 900
Chicago, IL 60602
Phone: 312-332-1624
Fax: 312-332-1460
Intake: 312-332-1624
E-mail Address: cvls@cvls.org
Web Address: www.cvls.org
Civil cases, general practice (low income), bankruptcies, divorce, guardianship, adoption, tort defense, collection defense, landlord/tenant
Community Economic Development Law Project 188 W. Randolph
Suite 2103
Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: 312-939-3638
Fax: 312-427-6172
E-mail Address: cedlp@aol.com
Web Address: www.cedlp.org
Non-profit community-based organizations focused on housing and economic development, and individuals pursuing small business development with the goal of economic self-sufficiency
Coordinated Advice & Referral Program for Legal Services (CARPLS) 910 W. Van Buren
Suite 700
Chicago, IL 60607
Phone: 312-421-4011
Fax: 312-738-9487
Hotline: 312-738-9200 (English); 312-421-4478 (Español)
E-mail Address: info@carpls.org
Web Address: www.carpls.org
Family law, consumer fraud, landlord/tenant matters, bankruptcy, debt collection cases, garnishments, contract law, housing discrimination, disability law, Medicare/Medicaid cases, elder law, veterans’ matters; intake via hotline 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday with hours extended on Wednesday until 7:30 p.m.
DuPage Bar Legal Aid Service 126 S. County Farm Rd.
Wheaton, IL 60187
Phone: 630-653-6212
Fax: 630-653-6317
E-mail Address: las@anet.com
Web Address: users.anet.com
Family law, appellate advocacy, bankruptcy, guardianship, adoption, wills, not-for-profit corporate advice for charities serving low-income persons, tort defense, collection defense, criminal misdemeanor, Social Security cases; 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Lawyers Committee for Better Housing, Inc. 220 S. State St.
Suite 1700
Chicago, IL 60604
Phone: 312-347-7600
Fax: 312-347-7604
E-mail Address: lcbh@enteract.com
Web Address: www.lcbh.org
Landlord/tenant matters, unsafe housing, evictions, lockouts, utility shutoffs; potential cases reviewed twice weekly
Legal Aid Bureau of Metropolitan Family Services 14 E. Jackson Blvd.
15th Floor
Chicago, IL 60604
Phone: 312-986-4015
Fax: 312-986-4016
Intake: 312-986-4200
E-mail Address: contactus@metrofamily.org
Web Address: www.metrofamily.org
Family law services ranging from advice to full litigation; 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago 111 W. Jackson Blvd.
Suite 300
Chicago, IL 60604
Phone: 312-341-1070
Fax: 312-341-1041
E-mail Address: wwinter@lafchicago.org
Web Address: www.lafchicago.org
Family law, public aid matters, Social Security, migrant issues, domestic violence
Life Span Center for Legal Services and Advocacy 20 E. Jackson Blvd.
Suite 500
Chicago, IL 60604 Phone: 312-408-1210
Fax: 312-408-1223
E-mail Address: life-span@life-span.org
Web Address: www.life-span.org
Domestic violence cases (Cook County), divorce, orders of protection, custody cases; intake by phone 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.; no walk-ins accepted
Pro Bono Advocates 28 N. Clark St.
Suite 630
Chicago, IL 60602
Phone: 312-827-2420
Fax: 312-827-2425
24-Hour: 877-863-6338
E-mail Address: heatherm@probonoadvocates.org
Web Address: www.probonoadvocates.org
Domestic violence cases/civil orders of protection for low-income residents of Cook County; walk-ins accepted from 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., Monday through Friday
Uptown Peoples Law Center 4404 N. Broadway
Chicago, IL 60640
Phone: 773-769-1411
Fax: 773-769-2224
Public aid, disability law, evictions
Will County Legal Assistance Program 5 E. Van Buren St.
Suite 310
Joliet, IL 60432
Phone: 815-727-5123
Fax: 815-727-5152
Civil legal services to low-income and indigent residents of Will County; intake via telephone
Page 6 of 6« First...23456